Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bears in our Backyard!!

I headed out for a walk with the kids and as we hit the path into Fish Creek...this sign greeted us!!! This path runs behind our house!! Soooo needless to say I was a little nervous and told the girls to make all the noise they wanted! I was trying to come up with a game plan in case we happened upon a bear. The only plan I could come up with was to send the girls with James and I would fend off the bear!! Luckily, we did not see the guy! Phew! I dont know if I could take on a bear. We did come home and review what to do if you see a bear. We also reviewed what to do if you see a cougar because they have been known to play in our backyard as well. It is interesting that you do opposite things. For a bear, you should not look him in the eye, slowly back away, throw your pack down for him to explore. If he charges you are supposed to fall into the fetal position and play dead. For a cougar you are supposed to make yourself appear as large as possible, stare him down, appear dominant, rant and rave with your arms. So now that we know what to do...we are back playing in our backyard!!

No comments: